Executive Sous Chef- TSV
SUMMARY: To provide efficient and cost-effective food service to the hotel food outlets while maintaining or exceeding the high standards of the hotel. Assist the Executive Chef with a primary focus in administrative and organizational functions, supervising banquet events, servicing outlets, inventory and scheduling.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
All subordinate kitchen staff
All subordinate stewarding staff
All other heads of department
Limits of Authority:
As established by Executive Chef
- To deputize in the absence of the Executive Chef.
- Work in tandem and partner duties with Executive Sous Chef
- To hold daily meetings with the Chefs des Parties, head cooks and lead steward to ensure smooth running of all kitchen departments.
- To ensure that each dish leaving the kitchen is checked for quality, quantity, presentation, and correct temperature.
- To ensure that the dining room/ restaurant personnel are "standing by" when delicate dishes are served.
- To ensure that all communications between restaurant and kitchen run smoothly
- To ensure that all maintenance problems are timeously reported and followed up.
- To ensure that all staff is constantly trained to effect good portion control and pleasing presentation of all dishes. And to disseminate approved SOP’s and training guidelines including pictures and recipe packets.
- To assist in development and creation of menus to maintain or exceed the established criteria, paying special attention to seasonal availability. Including assisting Chef De Cuisine in fulling responsibility of recipe pack completion, training, and implementation.
- To primarily maintain, organize, and implement all administrative duties as well as monitoring implemented systems to completion in timely manner.
- To maintain and assist in controls over; inventories, cost of goods sold (COGS) and or food cost %, recipe costs and purchase tracking, labor costs and tracking, employee timecard approvals, temporary labor tracking and timecard approvals.
- To maintain and assist with order guides and primary/secondary communications with distributors and purveyors as point of contact for those entities.
- To oversee and assist the Executive Chef in implementing standard operating procedures (SOP)’s as well as checklists by crew and shift. Including creation and implementation of new systems. Also documenting, tracking, and communication of new and existing systems.
- To assist with the establishment and maintenance of a working budget with required updates as needed
- In addition to the Executive Chef, hold daily meetings with the Restaurant Manager to ensure that VIP's are timely identified and any special arrangements properly communicated.
- To ensure that all areas under your control satisfy the most stringent hygiene requirements and that staff that are ill or injured receive the correct treatment or are not allowed to work.
- To ensure that all staff are correctly dressed to satisfy statutory requirements as well as enhancing the image of the establishment.
- To ensure that all stocks are ordered to the correct quantities, quality, and price, conduct regular stock checks/stock takes
- To ensure that all stocks are being kept securely and under the correct conditions applicable to each type of commodity stored.
- Conduct thorough staff training on all kitchen equipment and document the training.
- To ensure that all statutory notices are posted at relevant and conspicuous points.
- To ensure that staff is coached, trained, and developed to perform their duties effectively to the premier standards of The Sebastian Vail.
- To ensure that attendance registers are kept daily, and that any absenteeism is immediately brought to the attention of the Human Resources Department.
- Oversee scheduling and assist with hourly payroll.
- To ensure that fair discipline is maintained.
- To ensure that all staff is treated fairly and with commonly accepted courtesy.
- To constantly update your knowledge and skills for the good of the establishment and the profession.
- Assist with updating training outlines for staff.
- Participate in monthly safety inspections.
- To ensure that the inventory procedures are accurate and done on a timely basis.
- Be knowledgeable of safety and emergency procedures and observe safety precautions required to protect hotel and guest property.
- Turn in all lost and found items to Housekeeping.
- Report any maintenance deficiencies timely.
- To attend to customer complaints satisfactorily.
- To be continually aware of, and maintain, the highest standards of personal hygiene and dress.
- Possesses and maintains through understanding of industry and stays abreast of industry trends.
- Report any work-related injuries to Human Resources.
- Have a clean and neat appearance.
- Performs other duties as assigned by manager.
- To ensure that all biweekly payroll is timely and accurate.
- Maintain and oversee culinary staff schedules, monitor and document any overtime pay.
- To ensure that all staff under your control is fully informed in respect of disciplinary procedures, the handling of grievances, etc.
- Assists with hiring, training, supervision, motivation, and development of staff; manages schedules and workflow.
- Provides day-to-day guidance and oversight of staff; actively works to promote and recognize performance.
- Keeps up to date on overall activities of the team, identifying problem areas and taking corrective actions.
- Assist with preparing weekly schedule for all staff in accordance with business needs, avoiding over staffing and overtime.
- Ability to give attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks.
- To be available to work evenings, weekends, or holidays.
- Two to three years related experience or equivalent.
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Must have knowledge of a variety of computer software applications.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
- Ability to stand or walk for up to 10 hours per shift.
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to within normal range.
- Ability to bend, stretch, stoop and squat as needed.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to push up to 60 pounds.
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Work is generally performed indoors.
- Noise level of work environment is generally moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Pay: $65,000 to $75,000/hour
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: TSV