Responsible for supervising and coordinating activities and operations of kitchen and other staff engaged in preparing and cooking food products; maintains the quality, presentation, professional attitude, comply with local regulations on food safety and hygiene of all culinary operations.
Essential functions as defined are ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents within this classification. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plans, organizes, schedules, reviews, and evaluates the work of assigned staff. Meets with supervisory staff to ensure coordination of culinary operations.
- Trains and develops kitchen staff; trains cooks/kitchen staff in the importance of consistency in preparation and presentation.
- Ensures that level of quality, portion control, and plate presentation is adhered to consistently.
- Monitors and maintains line plating and quality.
- Prepares a variety of cuisine utilizing skill and creativity.
- Coordinates with restaurant staff to ensure guest expectations are met or exceeded.
- Assists with pastry and other duties as needed.
- Maintains a clean, organized, and safe kitchen; ensures all sanitation procedures are being followed; ensures adherence to all health and safety regulations and procedures.
- Establishes par levels for supplies and equipment; monitors and maintains proper inventory levels; authorizes purchase orders for supplies and equipment.
- Establishes and maintains effective revenue management techniques to maximize profitability and control costs.
- Assists food and beverage department as needed.
- Skillfully utilizes hand tools or machines required, reads recipes, measures, cuts, and otherwise works on materials with great precision.
- Establishes procedures, prepares and coordinates schedules, and expedites workflow.
- Performs month-end inventories.
- Ensures all necessary reports and forms are completed daily.
- Possesses and maintains through understanding of industry and stays abreast of industry trends; communicates/incorporates information to assure kitchen remains current.
- Ensures adherence to stringent hygiene requirements Ensures that all stocks are ordered to the correct quantities, quality and price, conduct regular stock checks/stock takes
- Ensures that all stocks are being kept securely and under the correct conditions applicable to each type of commodity stored.
- Ensures adherence to safety and emergency procedures required to protect hotel and guest property.
- Reports any maintenance deficiencies timely.
- Resolves customer complaints/queries satisfactorily.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit's service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a team.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
- Interprets and reacts proactively to guest feedback and guest reviews
- Responsible for achieving budgeted goals and following appropriate accounting procedures that include the processing of invoices and labor reporting.
- Works with other managers and staff to find unique and creative solutions for resolving everyday problems
- Performs other duties as necessary
- Works a flexible schedule and hours that varies based upon business demands working whatever hours necessary for a timely completion of responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge and/or skill required.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma/GED supplemented by formal coursework in culinary sciences; AND five (5) years of culinary operations experience, two (2) years of which were at a managerial level; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Principles and practices of employee supervision, including selection, work planning, organization, performance review and evaluation, and employee training and discipline.
- Principles, practices and techniques of the cooking trade.
- Food and beverage products, menus and promotions.
- Policies and procedures of the department.
- Principles, methods and equipment used in meal preparation in a restaurant setting.
- Safe work practices and sanitation related to food preparation and service.
- Inventory and record keeping principles and practices.
- Customer service principles and practices.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
- Planning, organizing, supervising, reviewing and evaluating the work of staff.
- Training others in policies and procedures related to the work.
- Performing budgeting and accounting functions for assigned operations.
- Efficiently and effectively performing cooking duties.
- Focusing on quests and provision of quality customer service.
- Making accurate arithmetic calculations.
- Reading, understanding and following recipes and oral and written directions.
- Maintaining appropriate inventory of supplies and materials.
- Organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility to work in a food service setting, use standard kitchen equipment; stamina to stand for extended periods of time; strength to lift and carry up to 50 pounds; vision to read printed materials and computer screen; dexterity to utilize computer equipment; hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone.
Pay: from $80,000/hour
The base hourly pay range below represents the low and high end of the Timbers range for this position. Actual pay will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to experience, education, training, location, merit system, quantity or quality of work, responsibilities, and regular and/or necessary travel. The range listed is just one component of Timbers total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include various incentives, such as tips, commissions, bonus, and many region-specific benefits.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: TSV