Accounting Controller - Full Time Year Round - Steamboat Springs
Job Title: Accounting Controller FLSA: Exempt
Department: Finance Department Pay Range: $90,000 - $105,000
Responsible for oversight of all accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit and collections, payroll, and general accounting duties for the One Steamboat Place (OSP) Homeowner’s Association (HOA).
Full-time team members have access to:
- Bi-weekly pay checks
- Reimbursement on ski pass / recreation / wellness
- 401(k) with company match
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- STD, LTD
- EAP (Employee Assistance Plan)
- Local Perks and Benefits
- Company cell phone or personal cell phone allowance
- Opportunity for yearly bonus
- Garage Parking Privileges
Essential functions as defined are illustrative only and not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents within this classification. Nothing restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work directly with the on-site accounting manager and team, the property department heads, the general manager, and as a liaison to the corporate Timbers Company office and local board of directors in all financial areas.
- Oversight of Accounts Payable:
- Ensure accuracy with incoming vendor invoices and completion of vendor payment.
- Ensures timely disbursement of funds.
- Devises controls to reduce risk from internal and external sources.
- Oversight of Credit and Collections:
- Assist with research and establishment of new credit needs and options.
- Reconciliation follow up with dues, working capital, and AR/GL Accounts.
- Assist with unresolved billing and payment discrepancies, and timely rebilling.
- Provide support to management and the board of directors with information regarding delinquent accounts (monthly reviews).
- General Accounting
- Provide support and feedback for monthly financials; review financials completed by accounting manager.
- Prepare, support, monitor, and train the accounting manager on:
- the annual budget process; as lead
- cash forecasts produced quarterly
- cash transfers and fund balances
- balance sheet reconciliation: review and assist in updating and completion
- reconciliation between different entities and business units
- Prepare audit material, as needed, working with third party auditors and/or auditors from Timbers Company home office.
- Understand investment reporting.
- Work directly with finance committee.
- Review capital expenditure plans.
- Review of onsite cash and financial controls.
- Preparation of OSP unit resale documentation. Reconciliation of transfer fee income.
- Provide budget presentations to Timbers Company home office, finance committee and board of directors.
- Converting year-end financial information into tax basis. Ensure accuracy of taxes filed annually, working directly with third party tax advisor.
- Attend quarterly HOA board meetings, presenting the financial statements and any other pertinent items.
- Completes new reserve study every other year. Working directly with the Director of Resort Operations in order to make sure that the financial aspect of the report is correctly reported.
- Prepare, support, and meet with department management to review budget and actuals on a monthly or as-requested basis.
- Oversee the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual sales tax returns.
- Oversee and ensure completion of all required year-end filing with government agencies.
- Oversee the preparation and completion of monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial statements for the HOA and the Spa.
- Understand the HOA governing documents and financial impacts.
- Respond to Timbers Company home office and OSP board of directors’ financial inquiries.
- Complete any financial analysis requested.
- Oversee, review, and ensure accuracy and completion of bi-weekly payroll.
- Work closely with human resources, accounting clerks, and accounting manager.
- Complete monthly payroll projections.
Directs and trains the accounting manager and other accounting staff to ensure timely and accurate workflow.
Assists management in any capacity during times of need.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge and/or skill required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in Accounting, Finance, or equivalent.
- Four to six years of related accounting, finance, and/or payroll training.
- Certified Manager of Community Associations (CMCA) Certification or ability to acquire within one year.
Knowledge and Skills:
Preferred Knowledge of:
- Familiar with computers and computer related software such as Microsoft Great Plains Accounting software, Opera Reservations software, ADP TotalSource Payroll and Human Resources, Intermediate or better Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Mailchimp, and Dropbox.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with co-workers, management, owners, and guests.
- Basic competence in duties and tasks of supervised accounting team members.
- Working knowledge of forecasting and financial reports.
- Working knowledge of data collection, data analysis, evaluation, and scientific method.
- In all situations demonstrate Character, Courtesy, Calm, and Charm.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Proven leadership and business acumen skills.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and motivate others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; ability to communicate clearly and concisely with others.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to learn and understand a variety of information pertaining to the resort and the area we serve.
- Planning and prioritizing of tasks in a self-directed work environment and maintaining high levels of productivity without direct supervision.
- Write routine reports and correspondence.
- Work independently or in a team environment and take direction.
- Work until all daily duties are complete, even if this means working more than 8 hours in one shift.
- Learn about the different categories of ownership and membership within One Steamboat Place.
- Learn about all other Timbers Properties, the Reciprocity Program, and the Timbers Collection.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret economic conditions and anticipate the impact on the organization.
- Ability to work with all levels of management.
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data.
- Read, analyze, and interpret general business documents such as technical procedure and regulations.
- Ability to effectively present information in person or in online meetings and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity.
- Occasionally required to move about property and between offices.
- Must be able to grasp, write, use repetitive motion, listen, and hear.
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- Specialized equipment used includes computer, copier, printer, scanner, shredder, and phones.
Pay: $90,000 to $105,000/year
Job Status: Full Time